In 2018, Mitsubishi Motors increased car sales by 14% to reach a new high of 118,074 vehicles. The Outlander Sport was the top-selling Mitsubishi in the US.
In December 2018, Mitsubishi recorded sales of 8,986, up 5.7 percent over December 2017. This represented the best December for Mitsubishi in 12 years.
Mitsubishi Sales in the US in 2018
Mitsubishi Motors North America, Inc. (MMNA) closed the 2018 calendar year with its best sales since 2007. With 118,074 vehicles sold, total 2018 sales represented an increase of 13.9 percent over calendar year 2017.
2018 marked the sixth consecutive year-over-year sales increase for the brand, and the second-straight year of sales over 100,000 units. The company surpassed the 100,000 sales milestone in early November, the soonest in 11 years.
“Looking back, 2018 was a banner year for Mitsubishi Motors in the U.S.,” said Fred Diaz, president and CEO, MMNA. “We have a strong line-up that is resonating with buyers. Looking forward, we’re optimistic about the year ahead of us and continuing our sales momentum.”
Mitsubishi Sales in North America by Model in 2018
The following were the top-selling Mitsubishi models in North America in December 2018 and full year 2018:
|12/2018||12/2017||FY 2018||FY 2017|
- The Mitsubishi Outlander Sport finished the year up 18.1 percent over 2017, as the best-selling Mitsubishi model in the US, and recorded its best sales year ever.
- The three-row Outlander also posted its best sales year ever with total sales up 6.6 percent over 2017. New to the lineup in 2018, the Eclipse Cross and Outlander plug-in hybrid electric (PHEV) both posted their best sales month ever in December.
- Eclipse Cross December sales were 1,597, while the Outlander PHEV posted sales of 431.
- Combined, MMNA’s CUVs posted total calendar year sales of 90,456, up 31.9 percent over 2017.
- While Mitsubishi’s SUV and CUV lineup lead the brand’s sales increases, the fuel-efficient and affordable Mirage and Mirage G4 bucked the industry trend away from passenger cars. For the calendar year, Mirage sales were up 8.6 percent.
- Together, Mirage and Mirage G4 posted December sales of 1,748, up 70.9 percent over 2017.
- Mitsubishi claims that the Mirage is the most fuel efficient, gas-powered, non-hybrid vehicle in America, offering an outstanding 36/43 mpg city/highway rating.
Car Sales in the USA 2018 by Brand
- BMW (including Mini)
- FCA (Jeep, Ram, Dodge, Chrysler, Alfa Romeo, Fiat)
- Ford (including Lincoln)
- General Motors (GM including Buick, Cadillac, Chevrolet, GMC)
- Honda (including Acura)
- Hyundai (including Genesis)
- Mercedes Benz (Mercedes, AMG, Smart)
- Nissan (including Infiniti)
- Toyota (including Lexus)
About Mitsubishi Motors North America, Inc.
Through a network of approximately 355 dealer partners across the United States, Mitsubishi Motors North America, Inc., (MMNA) is responsible for the sales, research and development, marketing and customer service of Mitsubishi Motors vehicles in the U.S. 2018 marked the brand’s sixth consecutive year of sales growth.
Located in Cypress, Calif., MMNA is a part of the Renault-Nissan-Mitsubishi Alliance, the largest automaker alliance in the world. Mitsubishi continues to lead the way in the development of highly efficient, affordably priced new gasoline-powered automobiles, while using its industry-leading knowledge in battery-electric vehicles to develop future EV and PHEV models.