In full-year 2022, Toyota slipped back to second-largest carmaker in the USA after weaker sales for both Toyota and Lexus brands. The RAV was the top-selling Toyota model and the RX the most popular Lexus.
2022 (January to December): Toyota Motor North America (TMNA) car sales in the USA contracted by 9.6% to 2,108,458 vehicles. Toyota brand sales were down 8.8% to 1,849,754 vehicles but Toyota is likely to remain the top-selling retail car brand in the US for the 11th consecutive year. (GM regained the position as the largest light vehicle producer in the USA). Lexus sales were down a stronger 15%. The RAV4 was the best-selling SUV in the USA and the favorite Toyota model overall. In 2022, the Toyota Camry was the best-selling passenger car in the US for the 21st consecutive year.
Toyota Motor North America Car Sales in the USA in 2022
For the full calendar year 2022, Toyota Motor North America (TMNA) — Toyota and Lexus brands –reported 2022 U.S. sales of 2,108,458 vehicles, a decrease of 9.6 percent on a volume basis and a decrease of 9.9 percent on a daily selling rate (DSR) basis compared to 2021.
TMNA is projected to be the number one seller of passenger vehicles for the 11th consecutive year and 19 of the last 20 years in the USA. In 2022, electrified vehicle sales of 504,016 represent nearly 24% of the total sales volume of Toyotas and Lexus vehicles in the US.
Toyota and Lexus Sales per Model in the USA in 2022 (Full Year)
Toyota and Lexus sales by model were as follows in the USA in 2022:
Toyota and Lexus sales per electrified model in the USA in 2022:
Toyota brand sales highlights in the USA in 2022:
- Toyota brand is projected to be the number one retail brand for the 11th consecutive year in the USA.
- Electrified vehicle sales of 448,854 represent 24.3% of Toyota’s total sales volume.
- The Toyota Corolla was the number one compact car in America.
- The Toyota Camry was the number one passenger car in America for the 21st consecutive year.
- The Toyota Tacoma was the number one small pickup in America for the 18th consecutive year
- The Toyota RAV4 was the best-selling SUV in the U.S. for 7th consecutive year and the most popular Toyota model overall in the USA.
- All-time best-ever year sales for the following Toyota models:
- Corolla Hybrid
- Corolla Cross
- RAV4 Hybrid
- Tundra Hybrid
Lexus brand sales highlights in the USA in 2022:
- 2022 electrified vehicles sales of 55,162 represent 21.3% of total sales volume, a division record
- All-time best-ever year for:
- Electrified vehicle sales ratio of 21.4%
- LC Hybrid
- IS 500
- NX Hybrid
- NX Plug-in Hybrid
Car Sales by Brand in the USA in 2022 (Full Year)
- → USA Car Sales by Brand in 2022, 2021, 2020, 2019, and 2018
- → Global Sales by Brand Worldwide in 2022, 2021, and 2020
Car Sales by Brand in the USA in 2022 (Full Year):
- BMW, incl. Mini
- FCA, incl. Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, Ram, Alfa Romeo, Fiat
- GM, incl. Buick, Cadillac, Chevrolet, GMC
- Honda, incl. Acura
- Nissan, incl. Infiniti
- Stellantis — see FCA
- Toyota, incl. Lexus
NOTE: “Sales” as reported by the various brands generally refer to deliveries and not necessarily sales to the customer or final registration. Terms and definitions may vary. All statistics are provided by respective car manufacturers unless clearly marked otherwise.
Toyota (NYSE:TM) has been a part of the cultural fabric in the U.S. for more than 60 years and is committed to advancing sustainable, next-generation mobility through our Toyota and Lexus brands, plus our nearly 1,500 dealerships.
Toyota has created a tremendous value chain and directly employs more than 36,000 in the U.S. The company has contributed world-class design, engineering, and assembly of more than 30 million cars and trucks at our 9 manufacturing plants, 10 including our joint venture in Alabama that began production in September 2021.