In full-year 2022, Hyundai Motor America car sales were 2% lower in the USA with the Tucson and Santa Fe the best-selling models. The outlook for 2023 is more positive.
2022 (January to December): Hyundai vehicle sales in the USA decreased by 2% to 724,265 vehicles but record sales in the final five months of the year hint at a positive outlook for 2023. Hyundai SUV sales were mostly higher but car sales were mostly lower as with other carmakers in the USA in 2022. The most popular Hyundai model in the USA in 2022 was the Tucson.
Hyundai Motor America US Car Sales in 2022 (Full Year)
In the full calendar year 2022, Hyundai Motor America sold 724,265 vehicles in the USA — a small decrease of 2% compared with 2021. Hyundai outperformed the industry with forecasts predicting a drop of 8.4% in total sales when adjusted for selling days.
Due to strong consumer demand, Hyundai established a new annual retail sales record with 708,217 units sold, a 2% increase over the previous high set in 2021. During the year, Hyundai fleet sales were among the lowest in the industry at 2.2% of total volume.
Particularly positive for Hyundai’s outlook for 2023 is that the company had record sales for five consecutive months at the end of 2022.
Hyundai Sales by Model in the US in 2022
Hyundai Motor America sales per model in the USA were as follows in full-year 2022:
|Vehicles||FY 2022||FY 2021||% Chg|
The most popular Hyundai model in the USA in 2022 was again the Tucson. The Santa Fe replaced the Elantra as the second-best-selling Hyundai car in the USA in 2022.
Some of the highlights of the year 2022 for Hyundai Motor America included:
- The sale of its 15 millionth vehicle in the U.S. — a Tucson.
- The 2023 Venue, Santa Fe, and IONIQ 5 electric sport utility vehicle have been named to Consumer Guide’s ® 2023 Best Buy Awards.
- Hyundai received three awards in this year’s Kelley Blue Book Best Buy Awards. The IONIQ 5 won the Electric Vehicle segment and the New Model segment and the Santa Fe the Two-Row Midsize SUV segment.
- The 2022 Hyundai IONIQ 5 earned Esquire’s Car of the Year.
Car Sales by Brand in the USA in 2022 (Full Year)
- → USA Car Sales by Brand in 2022, 2021, 2020, 2019, and 2018
- → Global Sales by Brand Worldwide in 2022, 2021, and 2020
Car Sales by Brand in the USA in 2022 (Full Year):
- BMW, incl. Mini
- FCA, incl. Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, Ram, Alfa Romeo, Fiat
- GM, incl. Buick, Cadillac, Chevrolet, GMC
- Honda, incl. Acura
- Nissan, incl. Infiniti
- Stellantis — see FCA
- Toyota, incl. Lexus
NOTE: “Sales” as reported by the various brands generally refer to deliveries and not necessarily sales to the customer or final registration. Terms and definitions may vary. All statistics are provided by respective car manufacturers unless clearly marked otherwise.
Hyundai Motor America
Hyundai Motor America focuses on ‘Progress for Humanity’ and smart mobility solutions. Hyundai offers U.S. consumers a technology-rich lineup of cars, SUVs, and electrified vehicles. The 830 dealers sold more than 724,000 vehicles in the U.S. in 2022, and nearly half were built at Hyundai Motor Manufacturing Alabama.