In 2020, Toyota and Lexus sales in the USA were lower but Toyota claims the number one retail brand for the 9th consecutive year.
For the calendar year 2020, Toyota Motor North America vehicle sales were 11.3% lower at just over 2.1 million vehicles. Toyota brand sales were 12% down while Lexus sales were 8% lower. However, Toyota claimed to remain the largest retail brand in the US for the ninth consecutive year. In 2020, the Toyota Camry was the best-selling passenger car in the USA for the 19th consecutive year while the Toyota RAV4 was the best-selling SUV in the USA for the 4th consecutive year.
Toyota Motor North America USA Sales in 2020
In 2020, Toyota Motor North America (TMNA) reported USA sales of 2,112,941 vehicles (Toyota brand and Lexus), a decrease of 11.3 percent compared to 2019. Toyota brand sales in the USA declined by 11.9% to 1,837,900 vehicles, while Lexus sales were down 7.7% to 275,041 vehicles.
|Sales 2020||Sales 2019||% Vol Change|
|TOTAL TOYOTA DIV||1,837,900||2,085,235||‐11.9|
Toyota and Lexus USA Sales by Model in 2020
Toyota and Lexus sales in the USA by model and division were as follows during 2020 (full year):
|Sales 2020||Sales 2019||% Vol Change|
|86 (INCL FR‐S)||2,476||3,398||‐27.1|
|TOTAL TOYOTA DIV. CAR||608,771||769,014||‐20.8|
|TOTAL LEXUS CAR||68,205||80,975||‐15.8|
|TOTAL TMNA CAR||676,976||849,989||‐20.4|
|TOTAL TOYOTA DIV. SUV||838,235||882,162||‐5.0|
|TOTAL TOYOTA DIV. PICKUP||348,009||360,474||‐3.5|
|TOTAL TOYOTA DIV. TRUCK||1,229,129||1,316,221||‐6.6|
|TOTAL LEXUS TRUCK||206,836||217,139||‐4.7|
|TOTAL TMNA TRUCK||1,435,965||1,533,360||‐6.4|
Toyota Motor North America Sales Highlights in 2020
- Number one manufacturer of alternative vehicles sales – hybrids, electrified vehicles, fuel cells – for 21 consecutive years
- 2020 hybrid sales totaled 337,036 vehicles, an increase of 22.7 percent
- Hybrid sales represented nearly 16 percent of TMNA’s 2020 sales volume
- With the addition of the all-new Sienna, Venza, and Mirai, TMNA now offers 14 hybrids, electrified, and fuel cell vehicles in its lineup.
- As with most other manufacturers, trucks and SUVS performed noticeably better in the USA in 2020 than traditional passenger cars.
Toyota Brand Sales Highlights in 2020
- In 2020, Toyota was the number one retail brand in the US for the 9th consecutive year.
- Camry best-selling passenger car in the U.S. for 19th consecutive year
- RAV4 best-selling SUV in the U.S. for 4th consecutive year
- Tacoma best-selling small pickup for 16th consecutive year;
- All-time best-ever December: division light vehicle sales, division hybrid sales, division light trucks sales, total Highlander, total Rav4, Highlander hybrid, Corolla hybrid, Tacoma, 4Runner
- All-time best-ever month: Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander hybrid, RAV4 Prime, Corolla hybrid, total hybrid sales, total light truck sales
Lexus Brand Sales Highlights in 2020
- December sales of 38,223 vehicles represent the best month in 2020
- Luxury utility vehicles (LUV) best-ever December sales of 29,578 vehicle
- Total Lexus division hybrid sales up nearly 2 percent in 2020
- UX and UX hybrid sales best-ever sales year
Car Sales by Brand in the USA in 2020 (Full Year)
- FCA (Jeep, Ram, Chrysler, Dodge, Fiat, Alfa Romeo)
- General Motors (GM, Buick, Cadillac, Chevrolet, GMC)
Toyota (NYSE:TM) has been a part of the cultural fabric in the U.S. for more than 60 years, and is committed to advancing sustainable, next-generation mobility through the Toyota and Lexus brands, plus nearly 1,500 dealerships.
Toyota has created a tremendous value chain and directly employs more than 36,000 in the U.S. The company has contributed world-class design, engineering, and assembly of more than 30 million cars and trucks at 9 manufacturing plants, 10 including the joint venture in Alabama that begins production in 2021.