In 2019, American Honda sales increased by 0.2% in the US with Honda brand trucks selling at record levels.
In 2019, American Honda sold 1,608,176 cars and SUVs in the USA – an increase of 0.2%. Honda brand sales were up by 0.3% while Acura sales contracted by 1%. Honda truck sales in the US in 2019 increased by 3.4% to a new record high of 786,812 trucks and SUVs. The Honda HR-V and CR-V set new annual model records.
Honda Brand Sales Highlights in 2019
In 2019, Honda trucks set a new all-time annual sales record in the USA with HR-V and CR-V also reaching all-time annual bests. Civic sales remained strong, while electrified vehicles set a new annual mark, contributing to a 0.3% gain for the Honda brand in 2019.
- In addition to a new annual sales record in 2019 (up 15.9%), HR-V jumped 45.7% in December on record sales of 9,199 units.
- Ridgeline gained a robust 31% on sales of 3,757 units in December, up 9% for the year.
- Civic led a strong showing for Honda passenger cars, with a 4th straight year as the retail #1 car in America and 10th straight year as the #1 compact car.
- Honda electrified vehicles finished the year with a new annual record, gaining 18.6% on sales of 59,157 units.
Honda is headed for a second straight year as the retail #1 passenger car brand in America, led by Civic’s four-year run as America’s best-selling car, while also setting a new record for electrified vehicle sales.
Honda SUVs will post 10 years of continuous growth in 2019, with a new CR-V Hybrid launching next year as our first hybrid-electric SUV.
Acura Brand Sales Highlights in 2019
Acura sales in the USA finished 2019 virtually on par with 2018, led by strong sales of RDX and MDX light truck models and with ILX starring as the gateway to the brand, posting major gains in December and for the year.
- ILX jumped a robust 30.3% for the year – its best sales performance in four years with December sales of 1,305 units up 41.2%.
- RDX posted its second-best sales year in history with 62,876 units delivered — only the second time RDX has surpassed 60,000 sales.
- MDX finished with sales of 52,019 in 2019, the eighth consecutive year with sales exceeding 50,000.
Acura SUVs have led luxury in retail sales to under-35-year-old buyers since 2012: RDX is #1 in segment and #3 luxury SUV overall, and MDX is the #1 3-row SUV in all of luxury.
Honda and Acura Sales by Division and Models in the US in 2019
Honda and Acura sales in the USA in 2019 were as follows by division and model: