In full-year 2019, General Motors sales in the US were down 2.3% to 2,887,046 vehicles, including more than 1 million Crossovers.
In 2019, General Motors delivered 2,887,046 vehicles in 2019 in the United States – 2.3% less than in 2018. The total included more than 1 million crossovers for the second year in a row, an increase of 12.7 percent compared to 2018, and more than 1 million full-size pickup trucks and SUVs.
GM Sales in the USA – Q4/2019
Fourth quarter North American wholesales declined an estimated 25 percent year over year. GM blamed the decline partly on the 40 day United Auto Workers work stoppage. This includes the company’s newly launched heavy-duty full-size pickups, which were off approximately 17 percent.
“Our fourth-quarter stocks were leaner than we wanted, but as we get ready to launch our all-new full-size SUVs, we look forward to another solid year in 2020,” McNeil added.
Fourth quarter customer deliveries totaled 735,909 units, down 6.3 percent year over year.
General Motors US Sales by Brand in 2019
General Motors (GM) reported sales in 2019 as follows by brand and model nameplate:
|Brand / Model||2019||2018||% Change|
|GM Vehicle Total*||2,887,046||2,954,037||-2.3|
|Brand / Model||2019||2018||% Change|
GM Crossover Sales in the USA in 2019
In 2019, GM sold more than 1 million crossovers in the U.S. for the second year in a row
In2019, GM had its best year ever for crossovers, achieving yearly records in the compact, small and small luxury segments. Crossover deliveries totaled 1,165,769 for the year, up 12.7 percent versus 2018, for the second consecutive year of over a million crossovers sold.
The following nameplates saw the largest sales increases year over year:
- Chevrolet Trax up 29.9 percent
- GMC Acadia up 12.2 percent
- Buick Envision up 10.2 percent
- Buick Encore up 10.0 percent
The Chevrolet Traverse and GM’s best-selling crossover, the Chevrolet Equinox, both continued to grow, achieving their best-ever sales in 2019. The all-new Chevrolet Blazer mid-size SUV debuted in 2019 and gained retail market share nearly every month. Continuing this momentum, the Chevrolet Trailblazer small SUV will arrive in showrooms this Spring.
Cadillac crossovers saw strong gains in 2019, up 22.4 percent year over year, given a full year of sales of the all-new XT4, continued popularity of the XT5, and debut of the XT6.
The Buick Encore GX will go on sale early this year.
Chevrolet and GMC Full-Size Pickup Truck Sales in 2019
Chevrolet and GMC full-size pickups drove the business in 2019:
- Combined sales of the Chevrolet Silverado and the GMC Sierra were strong, totaling 802,962 pickups in 2019, while combined retail market share grew almost one full percentage point, according to J.D. Power.
- Three out of every four full-size pickups GM sold were crew cabs.
- Light-duty crew cab sales were up 15.1 percent compared to last year.
- Heavy-duty crew cabs were up 2.6 percent year over year. In 2020, GM will increase capacity at Flint Assembly, where its HDs are built, by 40,000 vehicles annually.
- GM has sold more full- and mid-size pickups combined in the U.S. than any other competitor every year for the past six years.
- Nearly every year since 1975, GM has had the best-selling full-size truck franchise in the U.S. including full-size pickups and SUVs.
Car Sales by Brand in the USA in 2020 (Full Year)
- →→ Latest car sales statistics by brand in the USA
- →→ Global Sales by Brand Worldwide in Full-Year 2022, 2021, and 2020.
Car Sales by Brand in the USA in 2020 (Full Year):
- FCA (Jeep, Ram, Chrysler, Dodge, Fiat, Alfa Romeo)
- General Motors (GM, Buick, Cadillac, Chevrolet, GMC)
Car Sales by Brand in the USA in 2019 (Full Year)
- FCA Group (Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, Ram, Fiat, Alfa Romeo)
- General Motors (GM, Buick, Cadillac, GMC, Chevrolet)
- Jaguar Land Rover
General Motors is a global company committed to delivering safer, better and more sustainable ways for people to get around. General Motors, its subsidiaries and its joint venture entities sell vehicles under Chevrolet, Buick, GMC, Cadillac, Holden, Baojun and Wuling brands.